Visit the Active Site for U.S. Politics Online -- U.S. Politics Online . com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Soap-on-a-rope" Contrail

Default "Soap-on-a-rope" Contrail

My husband took this picture yesterday of the contrail from the fastest moving planes he's ever seen. He and a friend (former AF, son still in AF) believe it is a test plane with speeds to Mach 6. My friend said the info on the speed was leaked inadvertently but isn't that what the fabled Aurora was suppose to do? I think the Aurora was suppose to have a pulse-detonation engine.
    There were two planes and before my husband could reach inside the back door and grab the camera, the planes were gone leaving the "soap[donut]-on-a rope contrail. Note that it's a double contrail.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"][SIZE="4"]WHY DO I HAVE TO PRESS "ONE" TO CONTINUE IN ENGLISH???????[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Default Re: "Soap-on-a-rope" Contrail

Okay, WEB, where are you? I need your opinion!
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"][SIZE="4"]WHY DO I HAVE TO PRESS "ONE" TO CONTINUE IN ENGLISH???????[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Sorry, that was actually me. I was running incredibly late for work when I realized I had taken a wrong turn and ended up in Louisiana. With only minutes to spare, I decided that if there was any time to use up my jet fuel reserves, now would be it.

I hope I wasn't too loud.

(but, seriously, I'm interested in what that was, too. Good photo evidence. )
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Impact"][URL="http://www.myspace.com/speakeasy81"]My Awesome Songs[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]

"[I]I'm too fiscally conservative for the Democrats and too socially liberal for the Republicans, like 75% of the American people[/I]."
    óGovernor Angus King

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy
    Sorry, that was actually me. I was running incredibly late for work when I realized I had taken a wrong turn and ended up in Louisiana. With only minutes to spare, I decided that if there was any time to use up my jet fuel reserves, now would be it.

ROFL. You need to change your catalytic converter...

No noise but did you have permission to fly in our airspace???

I just started searching the net to see if I can find anything and found this interesting but I'm going to search some more:

The PDWE has been rumored for years to be the propulsion for the fabled Aurora...this type of engine leaves "donuts on a rope" contrails behind the aircraft. The PDWE is so much different from any other engine that it's silly...First, there are few, if any, moving parts. Fuel is injected, and causes a traveling wave of combustion to move down a tube...which is reflected inside the engine, and comes back up the tube. This wave compresses fuel and air still being injected and inhaled, enough so that it detonates, instead of combusting...think of it as the "pinging" in your car engine when you have crappy fuel. But harnesses correctly (as in a diesel engine,) it's actually more efficient. So this fuel detonates, which creates a pulse which partially blows out the back, but also partially reflects back up the tube to compress more fuel. Since there are no moving parts, this can take place at a very high rate of speed...The biggest problems I've read of are starting the thing...which was supposed to be the source of low-frequency rumbles at the Groom Lake site. The tube is "tuned" to a certain speed of waves inside it, and it doesn't want to run at other speeds. And...of course...noise. The thing is capable of producing lots of power...but its operation is much like that of the German pulse-jets, which sounded like flying jackhammers. But it definately could be propulsion for the future...but not to the extent that people would dream of..
    http://science.slashdot.org/science/...id=126&tid=134

Quote Originally Posted by AdrienXII
    ROFL. You need to change your catalytic converter...
    That's really, really creepy. My car is actually in the shop as we speak...getting a new catalytic converter.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Impact"][URL="http://www.myspace.com/speakeasy81"]My Awesome Songs[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]

"[I]I'm too fiscally conservative for the Democrats and too socially liberal for the Republicans, like 75% of the American people[/I]."
    óGovernor Angus King

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. M
    No noise but did you have permission to fly in our airspace???

I just started searching the net to see if I can find anything and found this interesting but I'm going to search some more:

http://science.slashdot.org/science/...id=126&tid=134
    No, ma'am. No permission.

This is interesting, though.

óGovernor Angus King

I agree with Speakeasy here, good thread Mrs.M. And it's a shame you couldn't catch the plane on fim. Maybe next time.

That's really, really creepy. My car is actually in the shop as we speak...getting a new catalytic converter.
    I have my moments.
    That will be 50$, please.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrienXII
    I have my moments.
    That will be 50$, please.
    Crap! Fiiiiiine.....stupid exchange rates....

óGovernor Angus King